After 5 years of the slow and often stressful commute, my office finally moves from Burgess Hill to Brighton this weekend.1.
So, it’s Goodbye Burgess Hill!
- Goodbye to the 07:57 Southern Service to London Victoria — and goodbye to the crowded 08:18 when I missed it!
- Goodbye to “the delayed 18:09 service” home, and the confusing service to Seaford, Eastbourne, and Ore2
- Goodbye “customers for Glynde, Berwick, Cooksbridge, or Plumpton”, who weren’t always travelling in the correct part of the train.
- Goodbye to Wivelsfield station, and the steep walk into town.
- Goodbye to the young families of Noel Rise, who greeted me each morning — and who grew up before my eyes!
- Goodbye to the headless eagle, the milk depot, and the dewy spider-webs on the fence — but goodbye too to the constant digging of the road!
- Goodbye to the Martletts, and Market Place
- Goodbye to the sandwich shops, the greengrocer’s stall, and the 50p bookshop
- Goodbye to the Post Office, and churchyard
- Goodbye to the park, with its abstract modern sculpture, its muddy fields, and its basketball hoop
- Goodbye to the Railway, the Jacob’s, & the Potter’s
- Goodbye Disco Carpets, and hairdressers downstairs
- Goodbye to you all – maybe I’ll come and visit someday. But then again, maybe not. ;)